April 21, 2006
On April 21, 2006 classes from the 1950's held a plaque dedication ceremony in the Uhry Theater. After a short assembly in the theater, alumni proceeded to the gym to unveil the champions plaque that had already been placed in the gym lobby. Dr. Jerry Najour began the program with a brief statement: “Today is a day of tribute and honor to those coaches who lead Druid Hills to 31 State and All- State Championships in most sports. In fact, it was because of the propensity of Druid Hills to win titles that the “Red Devils” were given the appellation School of Champions by an Atlanta Journal writer in the late 1940s. In this seventeen year period, Druid Hills won 29 State and All-State Championships in Track, Basketball, Cross Country, Gymnastics, and Wrestling.”
Principal Everett Patrick and Jerry Najour
A plaque was unveiled in the gym, commemorating coaches and players alike. The plaque reads, “To the Coaches and Teachers who mentored us and held high the torch of knowledge.” The School of Champions Plaque shows the impressive athletic history of the school.
|Singleton, Dowdle, Najour,|
Pruitt, & Logan
|PowerPoint Presentation |
by Jerry Najour
“We have come together today to unveil the memories of enormous success, success both academically and athletically represented by several years of achievement."